Contact: Julia Music, event chair, Ferndale Pride, (248) 906-8683, firstname.lastname@example.org
May 16, 2019
Ferndale Pride offers more events than ever for 2019 festival
FERNDALE – For its ninth year, Ferndale Pride on Saturday, June 1, offers more events than ever.
The annual family friendly street fair draws thousands of members of the LGBTQAI community to celebrate diversity and unity.
More than 180 vendors, as well as bands, disc jockeys and other performers, will converge on downtown Ferndale for the street fair. This year’s festival footprint includes West Nine Mile Road between Woodward and Livernois avenues and portions of Planavon and Allen streets near West Nine Mile. Pre-festival events have been going on for months, and this year’s Pride is working with businesses and city offices to provide events throughout June.
The expanded children’s area, sponsored by Blue Care Network of Michigan, will feature an area for kids to play and create art projects. In addition, the Bobcat Bonnie’s rock-climbing wall will challenge skills, the Ghostbusters will be out with the Ectomobile for pictures and Genisys Credit Union will provide free face painting.
Mark McMillian of the Center for Relationship and Sexual Health has planned a line up of events in the sober space area this year. Sober space, which is designated to allow adults to engage in activities in an alcohol-free atmosphere, will feature games of corn hole, a giant jenga game and support for sobriety. The schedule includes: 1 p.m., Activity: Discover your love language; 2 p.m., Discussion: Mark McMillan, MSW, CAADC: “Chemical and process addictions in the LGBTQ Community;” 3 p.m., Activity: What is your parenting attachment style?; 4 p.m., Discussion: Tisha Berg, counseling intern: “A False Link: Sexual Trauma and Sexual Orientation/Gender Expression,” 5 p.m., Activity: Discover your Enneagram personality type and how it relates to work and love;” 6 p.m., Discussion: Jared Boot, counseling intern: “Welcoming Asexual-Identified Individuals to the LGBTQ Community,” and 7 p.m., Discussion: Jared Boot and Tisha Berg, counseling interns: “Words Matter: Using the Correct Vocabulary With Emerging Identities.”
The Rust Belt Market will host weddings on the hour from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m.
Proceeds from Ferndale Pride benefit Affirmations, Ferndale Community Foundation, Gender Identity Network, Matrix Human Services MAC Health, Transgender Detroit and Transgender Michigan.
Pre-pride events will include the fifth annual Hot Daddies contest from 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday, May 18, at Soho, 205 W. Nine Mile Road. The contest will feature men age 35 or older competing for the title of hottest. Bring your dollars to vote for the hottest daddy and raise money for Ferndale Pride’s charities.
Other pre-pride events include:
- “Ferndale Pride Interfaith Service: The Spirituality of Stonewall,” 6:30 to 8 p.m., Wednesday, May 29, Affirmations, 290 W. Nine Mile Road.
- Flag Raising Ceremony, 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday, May 30, City Hall 300 E. Nine Mile Road.
- Renaissance High School Coming Out Wall, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday, May 30, Affirmations 290 W. Nine Mile Road.
Events for Saturday, June 1, will kick off as the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce presents its seventh annual 5-kilometer Rainbow Run at 9:30 a.m. For more information and to register, visit: https://getlocalhop.com/rainbow-run-2019/event/F2W0Z8axQW/
Ferndale Pride’s main event, the street fair Saturday, June 1, will run from 1 to 10 p.m. Admission is free for the fair. Vendors will line the streets selling food, beverages and goods, as well as providing information. Numerous downtown restaurants and merchants will provide promotions and specials.
Two stages will be turning out metro Detroit musical acts. The Genisys Credit Union dance stage’s lineup will include Dangerous Curves, Jordache, DJCOOLkIDSUE, Werkout Plan, Nader and Octavia and will feature headliner – Joe Gauthreaux. The Motor City Casino Hotel main stage will be a mix of genres, including the Dynamic Duo, New Fame, Sing Out Detroit, Sugar Punk Fairies, Motor City Drag Kings, Summer Like The Season, Nosey Parker and Siena Liggins and will feature this year’s headliner – Shamir.
Joe Gauthreaux will continue the party at the Grasshopper immediately following his performance at Ferndale Pride.
Events continue Sunday, June 2, with Rosie O’Grady’s Drag Brunch offering shows starting at 1 and 3 p.m. at Rosie’s, 279 W. Nine Mile Road.
Additional events include:
Saturday, June 1
- 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., — Group: Coming Out, Affirmations
- 11:30 a.m. — Pride Yoga with Rusty LeBlanc
- Noon to 4 p.m. — The Rusty Track Cafe by Youth Programs, Affirmations
- 1 to 3 p.m. HIV Testing with Matrix, Affirmations
- 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. — AA Brownbaggers, Affirmations
- 2 to 3:30 p.m. — Drag Queen Story Hour, Affirmations
- 5 to 7 p.m. — Men’s Discussion Group, Affirmations
- 6 to 8 p.m. — Scooby-Doo, Lgbtq? All Inclusive Youth Prom, ages 13 to 20, Affirmations
- 8 p.m. — All-Star Showdown, 8 p.m., Go Comedy!, 261 E. 9 Mile Rad, $20, age 18 and older
- 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. — Thots & Prayers Presents: Joe Gauthreaux a benefit for Ferndale Pride, Grasshopper 22757 Woodward Ave.
- 10 p.m. — All-Star Showdown, Go Comedy!, $20, $20, age 18 and older
- 10 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. — Nikki Holland and the Dirty Elizabeths, Ferndale Elks #1588, 22856 Woodward Ave., special event-open to the public
Saturday, June 1, and Sunday, June 2
- Axle’s Birthday, 567 Livernois St.
Saturday, June 8
- Bears in Speedos Car Wash, 11 a.m.to 3 p.m. 22635 Woodward Ave.
Thursday, June 27
- Movie Night, Love, Simon, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Ferndale Public Library, 222 E. 9 Mile Road
Ferndale Pride is made possible by sponsors including Candle Wick Shoppe, Tito’s Handmade Vodka, MotorCity Casino Hotel, Genisys Credit Union, Blue Care Network of Michigan, the Graphics Geek, Larson Lens, Kramer Restaurant Group and Axle Brewing Co.
For a complete listing of events, or for details on becoming a sponsor or volunteer, visit www.ferndalepride.com.