If your roof was done right, it should give you 20 or more years of protection. Even if your roof doesn’t seem to be having any serious problems, it might still be time for a replacement. Waiting too long to replace your roof though, can lead to serious problems.
As a homeowner, it’s important to keep watch for any signs your roof might be about to cause you problems and, when you notice them, schedule an inspection with a professional roofer as soon as possible.
Below is a list of things that might be a clue that you need a new roof:
· Cracked shingles
· Age – Over 20 Years? While materials are meant to last, there are factors that could age a roof including weather and workmanship. If your roof was not installed with proper ventilation, it can negatively impact the longevity of your shingles.
· Dark streaks. These can be caused by algae and make your roof look unattractive. Algae may not actually cause harm to roof shingles, and in many cases can be removed by using a 50/50 blend of water and bleach sprayed on your roof. Be careful to use a low volume garden hose and not a power washer so you don’t knock off the protective granules. Also, be careful if you go up on your roof after spraying because the combination of algae and water can make the roof extremely slippery. Using bleach on the roof might also damage surrounding vegetation. In certain climates and roofs that are heavily shaded, moss growth can be more than just an aesthetic problem. Moss can hold moisture on the surface of a roof and cause damage to the granules, especially in colder climates. Even if you remove moss from your roof, it will eventually come back and if you’re not a professional roofer, you may cause serious damage to your shingles.
· Shingle edges that are curled or cupped.
· Bald spots where shingles or granules are missing.
· The roof looks old and worn.
· If you don’t know how old your roof is but see that the neighbors are getting new roofs, it might mean that your roof is nearing the end of its useful life too.
There are a lot of DIY homeowners these days who enjoy the challenge and pride of maintaining their own homes, however, roofing is a dangerous task if you’re not experienced. Trying to replace your own roof could lead to additional property damage or injuries. Roofers have business insurance to cover these possibilities. In addition, while you might have to pay for labor, professional roofers are able to purchase high-quality materials and discounted prices and they will get the job done much faster.
Professional roofers do this task on a daily basis and have the knowledge and experience to provide you with a beautiful and durable roof that you can enjoy for years to come. Call Olson Cement Work and Construction now for a Free Estimate 313.563.3777