Keep an eye on your pup’s appetite this holiday season by Premier Pet Supply

Tis the season for overeatin’!

Sure, we’re all guilty of giving our dogs table scraps here and there, but there are some human foods that can be very harmful, or even fatal, to our canine counterparts. Here’s a list so you can be sure to keep them out of your dog’s reach and ensure their safety this holiday season.

1. Xylitol: This isn’t a food as much as a common ingredient, but it is found in many of our every day foods. This sweetener is found in most all toothpastes, candies, gums, and baked goods, so it’s important to steer clear of giving your pups a bite of your human intended sweet treats, as consuming it may cause them to go into liver failure or have seizures.

2. Avocado: Avocados aren’t the issue as much as a mineral inside the seeds and leaves it contains; Persin. Persin may make your dog vomit or have intense diarrhea, so it’s smart to stay away from sharing this fruit with your pups, as the fruit may be contaminated even after the seeds and skin are removed.

3. Alcohol: Alcohol has the same negative effects on a dog’s liver and brain as it does on people, and it takes a lot less of it to effect them than it does us. Just a small amount can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination issues, breathing problems, coma, and even death, so make sure to keep any alcoholic products far from a pup’s reach.

4. Onions and garlic: No matter what form they’re in –powdered, raw, cooked, etc., keep these popular ingredients far away from your dog, as they rapidly kill red blood cells, causing anemia. A small dose can cause poisoning, so if ingested, watch carefully for weakness, vomiting, and breathing problems, and contact a veterinarian if these symptoms become present.

5. Coffee, tea, and other caffeine: Caffeine can be fatal for dogs, which is why it is commonly known not to give chocolate to your dog. But, people think that dogs are allergic to the chocolate itself, and not the caffeine, and may not know not to give their dogs coffee beans or grounds that may fall onto the floor during a morning rush out the door. Caffeine is also found in some human-intended cold medicines and pain killers, which is why these should never be given to your dog. If your dog injects any caffeine at all, rush them to the veterinarian right away.

6. Grapes and raisins: These fruits can cause sudden kidney failure in dogs, and just one grape can do the trick. Vomiting over and over is an early sign of having kidney failure, so if you notice that your dog may have eaten a grape and is now vomiting profusely, call the veterinarian immediately.

7. Milk and other dairy products: A tiny amount is okay, but milk and other milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upsets for your pooch, which can cause itching and unpleasant sensations overall.

8. Macadamia nuts: Ingesting just a couple of these nuts can make your dog very sick. Symptoms may include muscles spasms, vomiting, high temperature (panting), and weakness in legs. Combing these nuts with chocolate will make the symptoms a lot worse and may even be fatal.

9. Peaches: The problem isn’t the fruit as much as it is the pit. If you’re going to give your dog a bite of peach, make sure that the pit is removed, as it is very poisonous to both humans and dogs (aside from being a major choking hazard), the difference being that humans know not to ingest it, while dogs will inhale just about anything you put in front of them.

10. Salt: Sharing chips or pretzels with your dog will lead to serious hydration, and may even cause sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms may include vomiting diarrhea, depression, seizures, and even death.

As always, don’t hesitate to reach out to your local pet store if you have questions on this or any pet related topic.

 

Please follow and like us:

Related posts

Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial