Some New Years traditions are handed down by families, others are cultural. One thing we can all agree on is the old saying, out with the old and in with the new, especially after the year we’ve had in 2020! One common tradition is giving the house a thorough cleaning. Cleaning for the new year is believed to assure that you won’t carry the bad things of the past into the new year. There is also a superstition that there are certain things you should do if you’re cleaning on new years day, for example, after sweeping, you should put away the brooms and dustpans to avoid accidentally sweeping your luck away. While some of these traditions may seemed far-fetched, cleaning and organizing is therapeutic for most of us.
Here is a list of new years traditions you may want to incorporate into your new year’s routine:
- Declutter Your Home or Office. A clear space creates a clear mind, reduces stress and anxiety and simply makes you happier. Getting your home clean and decluttered will give you a sense of accomplishment and relaxation. Do yourself a favor and start the year with a tidy home. During this process, try and find 10 things you no longer need or use and donate, sell or toss out.
- There’s not much more relaxing than a hot soak or a massage. Try adding bath salts or essential oils to your bath. Essential oils have many health benefits and can be quite relaxing. If you’ve never had a massage or it’s been a while, use the new year to treat yourself. You’ll feel a renewed energy to start the year full steam ahead.
- Burning Sage after you’ve cleaned and decluttered your home can create good vibes and create positive energy. Sage has been used for thousands of years and is actually scientifically proven to improve your mood and reduce your stress because sage is full of antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. People burn sage to help clear a space and is considered a common cleansing ritual for the new year.
- After you clean, declutter and sage your home, find a quiet place and try some meditation. Focus on your breathing and the things you hope to accomplish in the new year. Lighting a candle, using incense, sage or healing crystals can help enhance the experience. Meditation has many healing benefits including lowering blood pressure and reducing stress and anxiety. As you exhale, let go of all the negative energy in your life.
- Try yoga or an exercise class. Classes are available virtual these days and can be helpful in helping you achieve your new years goals.
New Years is a time to reflect, move on and start a new chapter in your life. Nothing is impossible! You can make the changes you want to live a more energized and empowered life. Try these rituals or make some of your own that will help you let go of any negative habits you have in your life.
At Reflections Extreme Clean, we wish you a happy, healthy and successful new year. Please call us at 248-295-1261 if need help getting your home or office cleaned and organized. Reflections – Extreme Clean